(Los Angeles, CA) - First Look Studios presents a Free Block Party and Sneak Preview Screening of director Larry Clark's new film WASSUP ROCKERS in the Bushwick/Brooklyn area of New York City, on Saturday, June 17th, beginning at 4 PM. Live bands, games of skate (for cash prizes), DJ's, pro-skater Chad Muska in person, food, and giveaways from Boost Mobile, Etnies, Baker and others will take place at Knickerbocker and Thames inside of a street closure (in front of Office Opps, located at 57 Thames Street, NY, 11237).
At 8:30 PM, director Larry Clark (KIDS, BULLY) and actor Kico Pedrasa will present an outdoor screening of Clark's latest film, WASSUP ROCKERS, which features an all Latino cast of Los Angeles teens, pulled off the streets and onto the screen, to tell a story about cultures clashing from South Central to Beverly Hills.
This community event celebrates the punk music and skateboarding culture depicted in the film, and is presented in association with Skate Park Association USA, a non-profit dedicated to promoting the safe practice of the sports of skateboarding and biking to all persons regardless of income, race or religion. The organization is celebrating their 10th anniversary this year, by holding as many free youth oriented events as possible, with an emphasis on servicing inner city kids. For more information about SPAUSA's youth voting registration project, free after school programs, etc. see: www.spausa.org.
WASSUP ROCKERS opens on June 23, 2006 at the Angelika Theatre, leading into June 30th openings in Los Angeles/Orange County and Chicago on June 30, 2006. The film opens nationwide in July.
Free passes for the "Free-For-All Block Party" will be distributed through Latin and local media (New York Post's Tempo, The Village Voice, WCAA), as well as through organizations like SkatePark USA and the Boys and Girls Clubs.
The film has already been embraced in the skate community. Pro-skater Chad Muska said of the film that it is, "A direct look into the youth culture of today though the eyes of the kids living it. WASSUP ROCKERS is a modern day West Coast KIDS meets THE WARRIORS. Its a film that breaks the racial barriers of what a skateboarder or punk rocker should be or look like."
Ten years after Kids, Larry Clark tackles the provocative subject of teens and race in LA, aiming his lens on an unlikely crew of Latino skate punk kids from the ghetto neighborhood of South Central who just want to be themselves. Wassup Rockers is based on the real life experiences of Jonathan, Kico, Eddie, Spermball, Porky, Louie and Carlos who take an impromptu skating trip to Beverly Hills one day. When the rockers attract the attention of some rich girls fascinated by their style, mayhem ensues and their afternoon odyssey begins. Chased by the police and targeted by residents, it takes all of their strength and cunning to make their way back home to the (relative) safety of South Central.
The daytime events is all ages, but due to the film's R rating, only persons 17 or older will be admitted to the film without a parent or legal guardian. Please bring I.D. See below for location and event details and visit www.wassuprockers.net for talent and other updates.
New York City Outdoor "Wassup Rockers Free-For-All Block Party:"
Saturday, June 17, 2006
4:00pm - 10:00pm
First Look Studios in association with SkatePark Association USA, presents the
"Wassup Rockers Free-For-All Block Party."
ADMISSION IS FREE WITH A PASS. PASSES ARE AVAILABLE AT ALL AMERICAN APPAREL STORES AND THROUGH VARIOUS LOCAL MEDIA GIVEAWAYS.
Schedule and Festivities:
- "Doors" open for games of skate. $500 cash prize plus $250 in product for the winner.
- Pro-Skaters Chad Muska, Mike Chin & Danny Minnick In Person. Autograph signing.
- Giveaways from Boost Mobile, Baker, Etnies, The Blvd. and other vendors TBA
- Food Vendors
- Vendor booths
- Other free stuff
- Live Bands: Taylor Bow, The Films (more TBA)
- DJ's: Josh Madden, Patrick Lavin (more TBA)
- Screening of WASSUP ROCKERS on a giant 40-Foot Outdoor Screen After Dark!
- Introduction by filmmaker Larry Clark (BULLY, KIDS) and 16-year old actor Francisco "Kico" Pedras, one of the leads in the film.
57 Thames Street
Brooklyn, NY 11237
- The screening will take place inside a street closure in front of the building located at the address above.
Media Partners: WCAA, NY POST, Tempo, VILLAGE VOICE
Sponsors: Studio 411, Mesa Boogie
Giveaways Sponsored by: Baker, Boost Mobile, Etnies, Red Bull
Special thanks to American Apparel stores for serving as a pick up location for passes.
An outdoor screening will also take place in Los Angeles on Sunday, June 25th, details to be announced.
- The daytime event is all ages. Due to the R rating, only persons 17 or older will be admitted to the film without a parent or legal guardian. Please bring I.D.
- Bring your skateboard if you want to compete. No one will be allowed to compete without safety gear.
- Several thousand people are expected to attend.
- Entertainment subject to change without notice.
- Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances are not permitted on premises.
- No cameras or recording devices will be allowed into the film screening area.
- Details will be updated at www.wassuprockers.net as they are confirmed.